All, just a few items as we head into week 4 of our season:
1. Reschedules – As we head into week 4 we've already had about a half dozen JV/V matches need rescheduled as well as numerous Developmental matches. Believe it or not we are less than two weeks away from October so please get these rematches scheduled ASAP. There is a referee shortage in Western PA so we only have so much capacity, if you wait until the last minute to schedule a JV/V game in particular, we may not be able to cover it.
Also, as a reminder, all JV/V games must be played by Sunday, October 30 in order to count for standings. Unplayed games will result either in no standing points being awarded (which is the equivalent of a loss for both teams) or a forfeit, depending on the circumstances involved (forfeit wins/losses are the less than the equivalent of win and loss for the two team when computing standing points (-2 for the forfeit loss and only +2 for the forfeit win).
2. Offside calls – As a reminder all teams from grades 3 up through varsity should be playing with the offside rules in place. Our PIAA officials know this and call this at the JV/V level. Soccer coaches at the third and fourth grade level should be teaching their players the offside rules and Soccer Coordinators should make sure that their referees at the developmental level are making offside calls when players are not onside. Also, as we enter into October, first and second grade coaches should start introducing this concept to their players as obvious offside calls at the tournament are called even at that age group, so it makes for a better day for all involved if the kids have had some exposure to that concept in advance of the tournament.
3. DSL Tournament – Registration is open for the DSL Developmental and All Girls JV/VTournament until October 15th, see the Week 3 email for more details.
4. Updated Coach's list – Hopefully the attached is the final coach's list. It contains updates at the 1st/2nd grade level to reflect revisions to the Blessed Seelos Team contact info. Please refer to this contact list going forward as previous lists are dated and contain incorrect information.
5. JV/V Playoffs – We have the Seton LaSalle venue reserved for Saturday and Sunday November 5th & 6th. Play in games will be on Saturday and Championship Games will be on Sunday. As a reminder, brackets with 5 teams will have the top three teams qualify for the playoff and seeds 2 and 3 will play Saturday with the winner advancing to play seed 1 on Sunday. JV 7's are the only bracket with 5 teams so they will follow this format. Teams with 6 or 7 teams (which are all other JV/V brackets) will have the top four teams qualify for the playoffs with seeds 1 and 4 playing and sees 2 and 3 playing one another on Saturday, and the winners of those games will advance to Sunday to play in the Championship game. Actual game times will be determined closer to the date and after we determine which teams qualified for post-season play.
6. No Offseason Tournament – In addition to the DSL Developmental tournament, No Offseason Sports in Russellton is offering an under the light tournament for teams in the pittsburgh region if you are interested. The boys tournament has some openings still at the U-8 level and the cutoff for registration is Wednesday September 21 and the tournament is Saturday, September 24, from 5pm until 9pm. The Girls Tournament has registration open until this Sunday, September 25 and the tournament is Saturday, October 1, from 5pm until 9pm and it has openings at U-6, U-8, U-10 and U-12. If you would like more detail let me know.
That's it from me, as always, let me know of any questions or issues that you are running into and I hope you all have a great week and weekend full of soccer.